|Rollsigns from Toronto, ON
|In 1954, the Toronto Transportation Commission changed its name to the Toronto Transit Commission, and became the sole provider of public transit in Toronto. On March 30, 1954,
The TTC became the first transit property in Canada to operate a subway. The original route went from Eglinton Station, mostly paralleling Yonge Street, to Union Station. In 1963, the TTC
expanded the subway service, creating the University line extending the line from Union Station back north under University Avenue to St. George Station, at Bloor Street West and Bedford
Road. - In 1966, the Bloor-Danforth Subway opened running from Keele Station in the west, to Woodbine Station in the east, with transfers at Yonge Street and St. George Station to the
original line. At Bay Street Station there were actually two stations created: The "Upper" station, which is still used today for through east-west service, and "Lower" Bay Station, which was
used for a short lived service travelling from Woodbine Station to Downtown (Union Station). This service was discontinued after a short time, and the Lower Bay Station was
abandoned. - In 1968 the TTC expanded the Bloor-Danforth line west to Islington Station on Bloor Street West, and east, then northeast to Warden Station, at St. Clair Avenue East.
Later, in 1973, they expanded the Yonge Subway north to York Mills Station, and again in 1974 to Finch Station. In 1978, northward expansion continued with the opening of the
Spadina Subway line, operating from St. George Station north then northwest to Wilson Station. The section between Eglinton West Station and Wilson Station operates down the centre
of the W.R. Allen Expressway. In 1980, the TTC added its last expansion to the Bloor-Danforth line, extending it west to Kipling Station just south of Dundas Street West, and northeast to
Kennedy Station at Eglinton Avenue East. - In 1985 rapid transit was extended further north and east to McCowan Road and Highway 401 with the opening of the Scarborough RT line.
This line is a fixed route service with no short turn cross-over tracks, so no destination signs were created for these trains. In 1987, North York Centre Station opened between Finch
and Sheppard stations. This was the last change to the subway system until 2002 when the TTC's newest line, the Sheppard Subway opened, operating between Yonge Street and
Don Mills Road. On March 3, 2014, the TTC formally introduced numbers to represent the subway and rapid transit lines: Line 1 for the yellow Yonge-University-Spadina line, Line 2 for
the green Bloor-Danforth line, Line 3 for the Scarborough RT, and Line 4 for the Sheppard Subway. The extension Line 1 (Spadina Line) from Downsview Station through
York University into York Region to the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre near Jane Street and Highway 7 opened on December 18, 2017, adding six new stations to the line.
|Hit the SUBSCRIBE ICON at the end of the video! ↑
On RG's YouTube channel, give it a THUMBS UP,
and hit the BELL to be notified of new uploads!
|to go to the earliest
Toronto Transit Commission
electronic sign list page.