|Rollsigns from Toronto, ON
Electric Trolley Buses
|Electric trolley bus use in Toronto dates back to June 18, 1922, when the Toronto Transportation Commission operated four
Packard Eds. Their service was short lived, and ended on August 31, 1925. Trolley bus service wasn't reintroduced until June 19,
1947. Its second incarnation at first, used Canadian Car & Foundry built Brills, and ex Cincinnati Street Railway Marmon-Herrington
trolley buses. Later, in the early 1970's, Flyer E700 trolley buses were introduced. The Flyers became the mainstay of the trolley
coach system until 1992. After rising expenses of the aged trolley coach infrastructure and the introduction of Compressed Natural
Gas Orion V's, the entire trolley coach system was shut down. Flyer #9247 made the final run on the Bay 6 route, January 19, 1992.
This wasn't the end, however, as on September 4, 1992, the system was re-energized once again. Having scrapped a number of
the Flyers, the TTC turned to Edmonton, Alberta, and its Edmonton Transit System, to lease several Brown Boveri trolley coaches.
These buses, with GMC New Look bodies, offset the requirements for the TTC, and the system was alive again. This third and final
revitalization however, was a short one as, on July 16, 1993, the trolley coach system was once again shut down, this time for
good. Leased Edmonton trolley #9151 (ETS #151) this time was the final coach to operate on Toronto's system. Over the next
year the entire infrastructure was disassembled, leaving little remnants of the TTC's use of electric trolley buses.
Historically, the TTC operated several routes out of two garages, Eglinton Garage, and Lansdowne Garage. The trolley coaches
had different rollsigns than their diesel counterparts. One theory to the system's downfall was that the two garages that operated
these buses were not linked by trolley wire, and transfers of equipment between garages had to be done by towing the vehicles.
|Toronto Transit Commission Flyer E700 trolley buses, #9207
(centre) #9346 (right) were two of about 15 buses stored in
retirement at the back of the TTC's Lakeshore (Wheel-Trans)
garage, seen in August of 1994. (Photo by Joseph Chemerys)
|Toronto Transit Commission Flyer E700 trolley bus #9210, the
host vehicle for the front rollsign above, is seen exiting Dundas
West Station onto Dundas St. West, May 30, 1971.
(Photo courtesy of the Scalzo Collection. Used with permission.)
|to go to the earliest
Toronto Transit Commission
electronic sign list page.