Rollsigns from St. Catharines, ON
The St. Catharines Street Railway began service on November 1, 1879. After expansions to Merriton in 1880 and
Thorold in 1881, the service ran up until March of 1882, when the system changed its name to the St. Catharines,
Merriton and Thorold Street Railway Company. On July 28, 1893, the Port Dalhousie, St. Catharines and Thorold
Electric Street Railway Company was created to acquire the services provided by the St. Catharines, Merriton and
Thorold Street Railway Company. They provided service until July 8, 1901, when the Niagara, St. Catharines and
Toronto Railway Company purchased the service. During its operation, the NS&T was acquired by the Canadian
Northern Railway in 1908, who later became the Canadian National Railway in 1918. In 1922, control of the service
was placed under the Canadian National Electric Railways, in their "NS&T Railway District". Under this agency, local
service was provided in St. Catharines, as well as the surrounding communities. Later, in 1931, local bus service was
introduced by the NS&T under the operating name of "Canadian National Transport Ltd". These operations continued
until September 1, 1961, when the current St. Catharines Transit Commission began providing service in the city.
This set of mylar rollsigns are off Penetang-Midland Coach Lines operated Greater Toronto Airport Authority OBI 01.504
Orion I #91, which was formerly St. Catharines Transit #8132. Both signs have 47 exposures. The front sign (left) is dated
June 19, 1991. Its sign tag is shown below.
(Note: That is not a mistake. "St. Catharines" is misspelled on the sign tag.)

The side sign has no print date but is a match to the front, making its suspected print date to be around the same time. The
cuts in the sign are a physical rearrangement of the exposures. The "Training Vehicle" exposure was between "Special"
and "& Niagara St", and the second "Not In Service" was between "Grape and Wine Festival" and "70 Martindale-Lakeshore".
Both those exposures were cut from those respective spots and reattached at their shown positions.

The 70 series routes are the Sunday Service equivalent to their regular service.
This mylar front route sign is dated June 10, 1996, and has 55 exposures. Its
sign tag is shown below. The Route 20 and 21 exposures at the beginning were
later additions using adhesive vinyl. The upper sign tag was erased and covered
with yellow vinyl to all for this addition. This sign had a few printing errors on it:
- The "16 Brock Bullet Express" exposure is a misprint: The line's route number
is actually "406", named after the highway it runs on. The indicator tab the driver
views on the side reads correctly; "406".
- both the indicator tabs for the Route 104 exposures were printed as "101".

The 100 series routes are the Sunday Service equivalent to their regular service.
MCFAYDEN MARKETING LTD. ST. CATHARINS
P.O.- 1679
D-2400-MA FRONT
6/19/91 TRANSIGN
ST. CATHARINES TRANSIT
P.O. # A2772
MULTISCREEN # 9626A
JUNE 10, 1996
FRONT DEST. SIGN

MANUFACTURED BY
MULTISCREEN INT'L INC.

MADE IN CANADA