|Rollsigns from Nova Scotia
|Public transportation in Halifax began with the Halifax City Railroad Company on June 11, 1866. The service only lasted a short time, and went out of business on
May 17, 1876. Shortly after, Adams' omnibus line was created, and replaced a portion of the former HCR Co. service. The Halifax Street Railway Company was
formed on May 11, 1886 to solely operate services in the area, and began operations on October 21, 1886. The company also acquired the Adams' service to
eliminate competition. After less than four years, the company went bankrupt. On August 1, 1890, Nova Scotia Power company took over operations of the service
for about 5 years. On August 30, 1895, the Halifax Electric Tramway Company acquired the service by auction. They continued to operate the service until January
10, 1917, when the company reorganized and was renamed the Nova Scotia Tramways and Power Company. On March 29, 1928, the electric power utility Nova
Scotia Light and Power Company, Limited took over services. They discontinued streetcars and introduced trolley buses to the network. Trolley bus operations
were discontinued on December 31, 1969 wit services operating after midnight into January 1st. In addition, on January 1, 1970, services were taken over by the
municipality under the name Halifax Transit Corporation. They continued to operate services within Halifax until February 28, 1981.
Public transportation in the Dartmouth area began in the early 1920s. Lawrence M. Bell secured the rights with a Public Utilities board certificate to operations in
1921. By June 1, 1923 service began from Dartmouth to Imperoyal and Eastern Passage with two buses. On July 24, 1923, Dartmouth Garage and Bus Co. Ltd.
secured a certificate to operate between Dartmouth and Imperoyal.By 1927, the operations certificates were taken over by L.M. Bell, Limited. By 1938, Bell Busses
Limited managed the Imperoyal service certificates, along with additional service from Dartmouth Ferry to Quigley's Corner and Port Wallis in 1946. Additional
certificates were issued in 1938 to Waverley Bus Co. Ltd. for service between Dartmouth and Waverley, and to George W. Frizzel for service between Dartmouth
and Montague. On April 1, 1957, Dartmouth Transit Service Buses Ltd. took over all operations within Dartmouth. They held down operations until February 1, 1978,
when the municipality took over all operations. Dartmouth Transit continued to provide service to the municipality until February 28, 1981.
On March 1, 1981, the administrative body called the Metropolitan Authority of Halifax-Dartmouth was formed to manage transit operations, and all services from
both Halifax and Dartmouth were merged under the name Metro Transit. On April 1, 1996, Halifax and Dartmouth, along with the communities of Bedford, Uplands
Park and Waverley, and Halifax County were amalgamated to form the new Halifax Regional Municipality. Additional services to rural areas were introduced, along
with new premium routes. On July 16, 2014, all services were rebranded under the name Halifax Transit, and continue to provide service to this date.
Throughout the history of transit in Halifax from the 1920s to as recent as the 1980s, multiple smaller providers were also created and provided various services to
specific locations in the area, all of which had their operation certificates cancelled, the services just discontinued, or they were absorbed into larger services.
Halifax Transit also operates ferry service in the area.
|Halifax-Dartmouth, Nova Scotia