|Rollsigns from Louisiana
|Early transit in the Jefferson Parish began with private operations that included the Orleans Kenner Electric Railway in
1915. More organized transit service developed by the 1930s with bus service along the Kenner corridor replacing the
streetcars. Called the Jefferson Line, it was run by the New Orleans Public Service. When Louisiana Rapid Transit (later,
the Louisiana Transit Company) took over they modified this service and added new service to the Moisant Airport (what is
the current Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport) in 1946, and along Veterans Memorial Blvd. in 1959. In the
1980s, Jefferson Parish Government took over all transit operations and established the government owned and operated
transit function. In 1990, the Jefferson Parish Department of Transit Administration was created and took responsibility for
overseeing the private management companies contracted to operate the Jefferson Transit system. Until 2006, Jefferson
Parish contracted fixed-route operations of Eastbank public transit and Westbank public transit under two separate
management companies, with a third company managing the parishwide paratransit system. As the cost to operate the
transit system rose significantly following the 9/11 attacks, Jefferson Parish sought to better control costs by consolidating
all transit operations under a single contract. In 2006, all fixed-route operations were solely managed by Veolia
Transportation, Inc., and in 2008, Veolia took on the paratransit operations as well.
The current Jefferson Transit (known as "JeT") serves the urbanized portion of Jefferson Parish, Louisiana,
as well as service to New Orleans and the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport.
|This jumbo front destination sign was designed for one of their Grumman Flxible 870 model buses.
It is dated October 1, 1982. A full sign would have 37 exposures and is shown in its entirety here.
|Jefferson Parish, LA
|PRINTED BY MULTISCREEN
|Jefferson Parish Grumman Flxible 870 #J107, displaying a front
rollsign similar to this one, is seen at the S. Claiborne and
S. Carrollton terminal in the early 1980s.
(Photo from the Michael Strauch 'streetcarmike'
collection, used with permission.)